Cruising Day 1



It was with mixed feelings of sadness and excitement I left Lisboa behind me and begun my journey to Sao Paulo. It is now 5:43 am and a nightmare has woken me up.

I’m wide awake sitting here in our cabin, it’s still pitch black outside but I can see the white foam that our boat creates with every knot forward.

We arrived to Sta Apolonia yesterday at 2:30pm, an hour and a half earlier than check-in should open. We unloaded our thirteen bags onto five trolleys and in about an hour we were done. Check-in was open early, and despite the queue of other gypsy like travellers with a million bags moving their whole life, it was a surprisingly painless process. We got to our rooms to get the key cards and went back out to say good bye to family and friends who had lovingly come to see us of. And what’s a good bye without Champagne and shit loads of tears? These guys are real choronas and it made even the toughest of Vikings tear up.

Well onboard we were starving and tired, especially Jr. I think the emotions were too many in one day for a Latino. At dinner we sit with two Brazilian couples (well, I’m yet to discover any other nationality) roughly our age (good surprise, they’re not all retirees). One guy was from Minas and had the strongest of the Mineiro accent and to most of his comments you could only but giggle. It was good. The other couple we had a coffee with in the bar afterwards, so we have made friends already. Just as expected! It’s inevitable not to make friends with Brazilians and more so with my husband around (he is like that old lady on the bus who insists on talking to you whether you like it or not).
It was an early first evening and I’m now ready to get on with day one. I guess I just have to wait until the sun is up.


After a few Sudoku games I finally fell asleep for a bit. We crawled out of bed at 9:30am with breakfast as our only motivation. We were still as tired as the day before. After breakfast we went sightseeing, checking out every inch of the boat. We came across the gym and agreed “tomorrow” is a better day to start being healthy. We both feel slightly dizzy as the waves are big so the boat is rocking constantly. We have taken some pills to avoid getting seasick, but they make you tired instead. After lunch and two glasses of red it was crucial to go for a nap. It’s now 3:51pm and I’m sat on our bed trying to wake Sleepy. He breaths, the only sign of life; he is moving slightly from side to side along with the waves… I hear a snore; I know I need to take action or he will stay awake all night long.

Day one is almost over, tomorrow we are in Fuchal, Madeira. I wonder if the earth will continue rocking…

Love, CJ


About CJ - Loving São Paulo

A Swede in Brazil. Whatever comes to mind; thoughts, inspiration, food ideas, baby stuff, life.. I will write about it when I have free time! Uma Sueca no Brasil. Seja o que for; pensamentos, inspiração, novas receitas, coisas de bebes, a vida... Se há tempo livre escrevo aqui!
This entry was posted in CJs World and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Cruising Day 1

  1. Essie says:

    CJ, goodbyes are horrible and the thought of the emotions you went through saying goodbye to family and friends tore me apart. Am happy for you and sad at the same time as i know it’ll now be ages since we meet again! I envy you at the same time, cruising is so cool!! Atleast your blog takes me through your day to day events. Looking forward to your next one!! Stay safe!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s